Fletching’s organ
The Fletching organ is a two manual instrument with tracker action, built by Forster & Andrews of Hull. A gift of Lord Sheffield, it was installed in 1880 following a major restoration of the church by the architect John Oldrid Scott. It has remained larg
ely unchanged over the years, so it still sounds very much as it would have done 135 years ago.
It has 21 stops and over 900 pipes. The Eng
lish, French, Italian and German stop names reflect the range of musical influences from different countries at that time. We can see from the builders’ ledgers that the specification has remained virtually unchanged, apart from the addition of a Voix Celeste and the change from Viole d’Amore to Viole de Gambe on the Swell.
It was overhauled in 1901, an electric blower was added in 1934 and during restoration in 1973 by JW Walker the pedal board was given electric action. Since then the only major work was a further overhaul in the 1990s, when also the front pipes were repainted.

Stacks Image 146
Stacks Image 148
Stacks Image 150
Stacks Image 174
In April 2015 a recital entitled ‘A Very English Organ’ was given by Peter Bassett, explaining the development of the English organ and its music from Tudor times to the late Victorian era, when this instrument was built. To illustrate this he performed a selection of works spanning the period.

To read the introduction to his programme please
click here (pdf)

To hear samples of the works played on the Fletching organ please click here